A URL consists of five parts:
A typical URL with all these parts would be:
http: // www. joe.com/difficult/questions/answer.html:80
Here the domain is www.joe.com
The path is /difficult/questions/
Which parts are optional depend on the computer on which the web site is hosted and on the browser you are using:
• http:// is optional in most browsers
• The domain name is compulsory
• The path is optional. If omitted, the 'root directory' at the domain will be used.
• The filename is optional. Some Internet servers default to index.html as the default page, others to default.html. It depends on what way the web site is set up.
• The port number is nearly always 80, so it can be omitted.